GSTHC Code of Ethics
AS A MEMBER OF G.S.T.H.C. I PLEDGE TO:
Respect private property and will not detect without permission.
I will use “Best Practice” in recovering a target and replacing soil.
I will abide by all local, state, and federal regulations regarding metal detecting.
I will pack out all trash recovered or discovered while detecting.
I will be an ambassador for the metal detecting hobby.
*A More Comprehensive, Generally Accepted Metal Detectorist’s Code of Ethics (adapted from www.tesoro.com)
• Always check federal, state, county and local laws before searching. It is your responsibility.
• Abide by laws, ordinances, and regulations that may govern your search and the area you will be.
• Never trespass. Always obtain permission prior to entering private property.
• Do not damage, deface, destroy, or vandalize property, including deserted structures.
• Never litter. Pack out what you take in. Remove all trash dug in your search.
• FILL ALL HOLES. Regardless how remote your location. Dig so as to not damage vegetation.
• Do not build fires, camp at or park in non-designated or restricted areas.
• Leave all gates and other accesses to land as found.
• Never contaminate wells, creeks, or any other water supplies.
• Be courteous, considerate, and thoughtful at all times.
• Report finds of any item of historic significance to the local historical society or proper authorities.
• Uphold all finders, search and salvage agreements.
• Promote responsible artifact recovery, historical research, and share knowledge with others.